Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Oops! I Did It Again...

Remember that email I blogged about between Sean Hannity and myself? Seems that Gary Bauer (who I CC'd) want's to weigh in. I received his response today.

For the sake of bringing you up to speed (in case you missed the first one) let me remind you that when Sean Hannity came out and endorsed Mitt Romney - I received an email from a frustrated friend in Ohio who - like many others - has a very difficult time in watching the continued mis-treatment of any GOP Candidate - but certainly Mike Huckabee since that is who the Principaled and Values Voters support. You can read the detailed account below - but the remark I made that "offended" Sean Hannity was "So much for Faith and Family Values. It's all about the money and the Mormon funding these guys receive."

It was that email that now the Evangelical Leader Gary Bauer decided to weigh in on. Gary is one individual that I have been discussing Huckabee and other candidates with quite vigorously for a while. His response was:

I understand the strong negative reaction to Senator McCain. I would caution, however, that some of the criticism is overblown. For example:

He has an 82% American Conservative Union voting record.

He has repeatedly promised to veto any tax increase.

He voted against the hate crimes bill.

He is the toughest Republican Senator on fighting pork barrel spending.

He has voted pro-life on every issue except, unfortunately, stem-cells.

Hillary or Obama will destroy our military, shut down conservative talk radio, raise taxes,
surrender in Iraq and give us socialized medicine. How can anything that bad for America possibly be good for conservatives?

Gary

Mr. Bauer is reacting to my comments of voting for Obama if Huckabee isn't at the very least a VP candidate.

I will close this blog with my copy and pasted response to Mr. Bauer and trust it will speak for itself without further commentary (but please feel free to add your comments).

Mr. Bauer,
In response to your reply (be forwarned - Hannity has called me a Huckabee Conspiracy Theorist on National Radio so whatever you have to offer I can take).

Is it overblown that McCain doesn't support the "Sovereignty" of the US?
Is it overblown that McCain supports gay marriage?
Is it overblown that McCain supports stem cell research ("unfortunately" not)?

As for promising to veto any tax increase - so has Huckabee. I'm not going into full explanation here - but you can listen to the same YouTubes and the radio interview between Huckabee and Colmes that I've heard regarding Huckabee's position on tax increase and his POSITIVE record of surplus and LOWERING Taxes in Arkansas (his record is far better than Romney's), along with fixing the education fiasco, the HealthCare problems and Road Problems, the Clintons left behind.
The Hate crimes bill has not been an issue (at least a major one) in this election (that I'm aware of)
Huckabee promises to be tough on Pork Barrel spending and has promoted a Line Item Veto to accomplish it.

Conservative Talk radio is far from conservative - and I'm at the place that they need to be shut down as you suggest the democrats will do. If they aren't going to report objectively and truthfully - why should they exist. It is gross misconduct to be King Makers. The reason FOX came into existence to begin with was so we had an alternative to the Main Stream Media King Maker's - now we have Conservative King Makers. As a matter of fact - what makes you think John McCain wouldn't shut them down alongside the Democrats - his McCain/Feingold bill certainly had the intent of shutting Evangelical Ministries down (even though it was only self-serving to get him the GOP nomination - and now that he has come out and stated that M/F is 'unconstitutional' and your candidate stated it was "bad legislation" the purpose of the M/F bill has been served - and Americans have been duped - and our Government Used like last nights prostitute) Their (FOX and relative pundits) journalism is and remains unethical in practice, and has been bought and paid for.

Socialized Medicine is a Romney plan as well as the democrats.

My position is - if we're going to elect a RINO - let's just put a Democrat in. At least we'll know what to expect of them. Then the GOP's will rally to keep their hands tied and regain Congressional/Senate seats back in 2010. Hillary would probably be the lesser of two evils between her and Obama - so maybe I overspoke in which Democrat I would vote for - but I will not vote for McCain unless Huckabee is the VP (provided he doesn't get the nomination in a brokered convention at this point). I will not vote for Romney even if Huckabee is his VP because of his dirty politics and "Do anything to get elected" mentality. He is as bad if not worse on flip-flopping than John Kerry and the Democrats will hand him his head on a platter in November should he win the nomination.

Evangelical Leadership, the GOP Washington Insiders, and Fox News (Conservative Radio) have all grossly mis-handled this election and probably have cost us the White House.

I almost ended with that - but just to be clear, I'm not upset because the groups I've listed have "Not supported" Huckabee (with exception to the Evangelical leadership who should know better). I'm upset because they clearly ostrosized Huckabee and (yourself included) came out very early stating that "we don't endorse" but you all eventually ended up endorsing when Mike Huckabee started showing promise and even early on - the non-endorsing crowd had no problem saying "we don't endorse - but Mike Huckabee is liberal" and spun his very conservative, very humane, very Christian governing record into what amounted to out-right lies. Evangelical leadership seemingly (this is a "Conspiracy Theory" floating about) have been simply trying to jump on the winning horse in this race - thus they have not backed their clear choice candidate.

THERE MR. HANNITY is why I stated "So much for Faith and Family Values" it seems that the Evangelical leadership can be bought and sold too (along with you and Clear Channel - if that offends you - I'm sorry - - I'm offended too). In the name of "power and open communication lines" with whomever becomes the next President, Evangelicals have remained silent. I have been told by Tony Perkins' staffer's and close friends of James Dobson that my thinking of Mormon Money lining their Organizational pockets is off - but I still maintain "follow the money" How many Mormon Dollars compared to non-mormon dollars pays their utility costs, payroll costs, etc. A comparison I'd like to see. But even taking the words of these individuals - one of which I trust greatly - the silence of these Evangelical leaders is not warranted and not appropriate. Sorry - my Bible tells me that once "having done all to stand... stand." and Evangelicals across this country have given to Focus on the Family, FRC (Tony Perkins), ACLJ (Jay Sekulow), AFA (who have done the right thing in this election), and I would even venture to say Gary Bauer's org and supported their battle cries and calls - and when the rubber met the road when Huckabee threw in (which would have been, should have been, and WAS their prime candidate) they should have gotten behind him with everything their organizations could throw....but they remained silent (an epitaph for their tombstones). They took to the political low road. When it came time to Put up or shut up - they shut up. That's what the Bible terms as being "lukewarm." They had their chance and missed it, and I will be watching and listening throughout the next Presidents adminstration and everytime I hear a complaint or a stance against abortion or any other "Christian issue" - I'm going to tell them Mike Huckabee, Mike Huckabee, Mike Huckabee....you had your chance and took a pass." Every aborted baby's grave should have that on their tombstone: "You had your chance to save me and took a political pass."

Well Mr. Bauer, you and I may never see eye to eye on this election. But you have lost a lot of respect of some very good Christian individuals that I've communitcated with. Why exactly - outside of your failed support of Huckabee and your attacks against him - I'm not sure - something transpiring before my time regarding political interests and involvment.

As stated earlier - I can vote for a McCain/Huckabee ticket as long as I follow it up with a stiff drink (just kidding - I don't drink - just watch too many westerns - since I don't have FOX News to watch or WMAL radio to listen to any more). I would hope we could work together in the future - but unfortunately until this election is over - I have the "if your not for me - your against me" mentaility as applied to Hucakbee - which as you should know is a Biblical Principal.

As for conspiracy theories - - a friend of mine has a very good concept on conspiracy theories - too long to get into here, but there is definately a conspiracy theory that is reality when you think about "principalities and powers" in high places. Many people are working (possibly at odds with others) for the same ultimate goal of the Prince of Persia - but our goal is for the Prince of Peace, and we are currently losing a well-fought battle with this election - haven't lost - but behind at this writing - and in the end you and I both know Who wins the war whatever the outcome of the battle may be. The battle at this time is only the Nomination for GOP Candidate, the next Battle is the General Election, but the War - is the Kingdom of Heaven and it's citizens, to which - in Jesus Christ - we are both a part of. I will stand with you anytime for that ultimate victory - and wish you and the other Evangelical Leaders who chose to go left when they should have gone right had stood with me and many others in this current battle we now face.

I don't know what you think about Don Wildmon - I've always thought he was pretty "out there" but he has supported this candidate and for now - has won my appreciation. I'm not sure how effective he is - but I give him an A for effort, diligence, and faithfulness to his calling over the years. The other more well-known Arlington Group members left their first love and as Mr. Hannity suggested for me...."should be ashamed" of themselves. You can read about that on my blog.

Thanks for the reply.

With respect,
Michael Phillips, Chairman

Maryland Faith and Family Values Coalition
Waldorf, MD

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such BS. While you may live in Charles County it's obvious that you live way to close to the Beltway to be taken seriously.

It's a shame that you have such a self-inflated idea of your importance to see good and evil or determine who the winner is in Missouri. Please leave that to those of us who live here and know Mike Huckabee well.

A Prince George's County Native

Unknown said...

Judges. Judges. Judges.

That needs to be our mantra in November.

To read your statement, "My position is - if we're going to elect a RINO - let's just put a Democrat in." is nonsensical to me. If you don't think that McCain would appoint more acceptable judges (i.e., conservative constructionists)than would Clinton or Obama then, respectfully, you aren't looking at the facts.

The E.R. said...

I don't understand the brave annonymous comment regarding determining the MO winner. I never said anything about MO, must have me confused with another blogger.

As for knowing the Governor well - - I'm a native Arkansan and lived in AR while Huckabee was Governor (not Missouri or PG County), So - who would tend to know his record better here?

As for Judges Judges Judges (boy did I think you were judging me LOL) I understand the need for judges - but in my earlier blog regarding hannity I stated that we've been appointing judges since Bush Sr. - why haven't we been effective in overturning Roe V. Wade to date? Could it be Senators like Fred Thompson that state "that would be a mistake." Why - do the Pro-Life Non-Profits like National Right to Life (who endorsed Fred and his view) need Roe V Wade to continue to exist so the organizations can continue to exist? That might very well be a conspiracy theory for Sean to chew on - but the thought has crossed my mind with the silent treatment that Dobson and Tony Perkins and Pat Robertson have given.

As for looking at the fact - I'm very much so looking at the facts. I'm not going to vote for Hillary because I like her....I'm tired of voting "lesser of two evils" in my own party. Been doing it since Reagan left office...we now have been presented THE CANDIDATE that we've been looking for 30 years - and the so-called conservative media has twisted his record so that people like Mr/Mrs. Anonymous could sip their coolaide and swallow the poison.

I understand McCain will appoint appropriate judges - - but that's just not enough. Huckabee is in this race to "stop abortion" for one thing as well as many other issues. FOX has turned my stomach to the point that I'll have nothing to do with their chosen one who turned out to be the REAL Spoiler in this election.

I think you and I agree more than we disagree Mr. Wilson, I'm simply choosing to send a message to the GOP and Evangelical Leadership because they have failed the constituency of the party.

As I expressed to Mr. Bauer today - in a seperate email - I think what those of us who state we'll look left before we pull a lever on Romney or McCain (for me without a Mike VP) what we're truly saying - without saying it - is "who is the 3rd party going to give us?" But for now - those guys are worse than the Dem's too (admittedly I don't know that much about Bloomberg - if he's even running yet).