Monday, November 26, 2007

Burned out on Turkey - but not Thanksgiving

Burn-out is a common occurrence with almost any subject. We burn out on Turkey after Thanksgiving, we burn out on soft drinks and have to switch from Coke to Dr. Pepper for a while. Weariness with our most favorite things creeps in at times - you know "too much of a good thing..."

On a more significant or consequential level we burn out in our careers, Minister's burn-out and quit the ministry (a phenomena that I will never understand or agree with). Sadly, many families burn out with each other and end in separation and/or divorce.

Personally, I have read a lot of blogs on thanksgiving and the things people are thankful for. After blogging for a while - I found myself a bit burned out on blogging. But - being thankful - for me - is not something I will burn out on. I have too much. I realize it's Monday Morning after Thanksgiving. Where most people blog on this holiday before or at least on the day, I've had to deal with my laptop burn-out. I took this weekend to step away from it, visit with family and - well - introduce myself to my kids. :)

I still need to blog (read my first blog) on the God-thing in my family's life three years ago. Not a day passes that I must stop and soak in the blessings that God has provided my family and give him credit and thanks for my home in Maryland, a provision of God that could have come from no other. Not only providing the home was a miraculous tale to be told later, but being able to keep the home in this very taxed Maryland economy.

Saturday I took my son on his first hunting experience. That will be a memory for him and me that will last the rest of our lives. Though we didn't bag a deer - we sat and watched one for thirty minutes as she stomped and snorted - knowing we were there - but couldn't really make up her mind as to what exactly we were. I am thankful for that teaching experience of responsible hunting for my son. I also told him that at age 42 I have never seen anything like the display we had just witnessed in person - and either of us may never again.

I'm thankful that my daughter includes me in her schoolwork and that we have developed a bond on her particular History project as she writes a report on George W. Bush (if he doesn't stop helping Hillary - I may have to encourage a subject change). I'm thankful that at age 12 she isn't following suit with every fad and peer pressure that comes along, but is very well aware of her relationship to Christ and desires to live her life that is pleasing to Him.

Finally, my wife Robin, though not always understanding why I do some of the things I do (both in ministry and community activity) still supports my efforts. Had it not been for her ability to manage our home, there would be times we would be in a great deal of trouble. Not only is she managing the home front but somehow finds the energy to involve herself in the ministry aspect of our lives.

So, while there are some things that burnout can creep in and destroy - appreciation for the blessings God has provided me and my family is an ever burning fire. I managed some motivation for these few minutes to type on my laptop one more time before my business day begins to tell cyber-space that I don't need anymore Turkey - but I've got plenty of Thankfulness to spread around.

No comments: