Friday, December 28, 2007

A Conversation with a Former Presidential Candidate

Not For The Weak Hearted:

It's not all that bad - but I've been conversing with Gary Bauer over the past few months. He certainly has been approachable and for the most part respectful - as I have tried to be with him (you'll have to ask him for my report card on that one). Most of our conversations via email could be shared - although not all of them, as he requested they be held confidential. My post today is my response to Mr. Bauer on the last email we exchanged. I'm leaving off his original statement because I'm a bit uneasy sharing his statements without permission (I desire to be ethical here) - so I'll play it safe. But my reply is fair game and something I was quite obviously "worked up" over (as you will see) as I attempt to explain to this "Evangelical Leader" we need to stick with our own. I feel Mr. Bauer has fallen to the media spin and though he claims not to "publicly endorse" any candidate - he has no problem publicly discrediting one either (to put it nicely after I just back-spaced over my "real" thoughts) which is what began our tête-à-tête.

Enjoy:

Mr. Bauer,
I disagree completely. Everyone you mentioned are Washington Insiders. Rush Limbaugh has jumped off the cliff of truth - not following his normal procedure and policy. Rush has NEVER taken the word of a blogger to use as a tool to attack someone in politics - be them GOP or DEM, but now all of a sudden - after spending time with the Giuliani camp, he uses an unidentified individual to make a case? Please. Not Rush-like in the least, which tells me he's been sold out. And further, the MSM and FOX (who isn't any better) folk won't allow Mike Huckabee to focus on issues (real fair and balanced, huh?) - they keep him pinned to his religion and the fact that he is a Baptist Minister - thinking that will hurt him. When it actually back-fired on them and Mike gained popularity - out came the spin, lies and half-truths to further discredit him in Clinton Machine fashion - and he (though taking some hits in the polls) still seems his metal is withstanding the fire.

I just have GREAT difficulty believing that the fire comes from his own. Let the Clinton Machine come, let the Washington Insider's come - but Evangelicals need to stand with their own. You of all people should know that having felt the same brunt of the Eighties Evangelical evacuation.

Whether they (the list you mentioned) like Huckabee or not - I could care less - but to ATTACK the man and not REPORT the progress of his campaign is totally out of character and will serve as a DRIVING WEDGE to send Christians on the run in the political process - to go back to being the political wall-flowers we were before Reagan (it's already happening here in Maryland).

Washington Insider's don't like the grassroots/mainstreet type of government that Mike Huckabee has successfully run in Arkansas. The Democrats have shown their ability to win an election with the lowest satisfaction rate in American History with a President and Congress. We better be thinking of a man who can speak to both sides of the aisle. Bush failed in that campaign promise and if Romney can do it - he'll only be able to do it by being fake for now - and showing his true colors later (after elected - remember in 2004 he stated "I'm not a Reagan/Bush Republican"...hmmm....we certainly hear differently today).

The soft immigration position (that you call it) is not soft - it's Biblical....wouldn't you as a Christian prefer a Christian country to handle the immigration with a Christian response? Afterall, we are a Christian nation.

Almost Every President in American History has claimed that they read the Bible daily, but to what end - if it offers no practical solutions to government? Mike Huckabee understands that better than any other GOP Candidate on the sale block, and his governing of Arkansas has been reflective of that on every issue from immigration to education.

As for his immigration bill in Arkansas that failed - I stated in one of my former blogs - that had I been an Arkansas State Senator - I too would have voted that bill down - however - I in the doing - I would have applauded the Governor's efforts for at least TRYING to resolve the problem that the Federal Government was ignoring and simply stated - go back to the drawing board and bring something we can accept.

He has stated time and again that he is for building a wall to stop the influx of illegals. He is AGAINST amnesty and AGAINST Sanctuary cities and states. He follows the law as it is presented and he understands there is a lady in New York harbor that cries "bring me your poor..." -- not build freeways from Canada to Mexico and open the flood gates selling out our country one NAFTA bad deal at a time (both coming from GOP Presidents).

That's why the Washington insider's truly don't like Mike - he is not in their pocket - he's in the American People's pocket - being one of us.

It is the same old argument that raged rampant when Bush announced his hero being his "Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" when he ran against you. Only this time the heat has been turned up because Mike - a legitimate Christian with a History of being Christian - can actually reach across the aisle in Washington and that scares insiders. What also scares insiders is that he is FOR smaller government and can actually make it happen. That's why Senator's (former or current) don't make good Presidents. They see the White house as a victory over the Dem's not as what the American People want our country to be.

Americans want change - not business as usual. If the GOP puts up a nominee that is Biz as Usual - we better be prepared for another Clinton regime.

And the false accusation of being soft on immigration, and sounding like John Edwards and Hillary is only media spin meant to drive the Christian right out of the race.

Take a look at my blog (http://www.elephantroom08.blogspot.com/) I posted last night (I didn't write it...I copied and pasted from a radio host/pastor in Detroit - with permission). http://www.godandculture.com/.

The attacks on Huckabee aren't only sickening to me - but there are non-Huckabee people that are making statements of frustration and dissatisfaction with the attack policies against him (Romney, Thompson, and Giuliani supporters). Negative campaigning works - there's no doubt - but to what expense? I've been telling the Huckabee campaign that for months back when Huckabee was not only NOT being attacked - but he wasn't seemingly coming across as tough enough in the first couple of debates - but negative campaigning is also divisive to the party as a whole.

If the goal of Evangelical's is to create a legitimate 3rd party - I'm fine with that - - tell me where to sign up, because they certainly are on the right path.

You once sent out an email requesting input as to the Christian response (Evangelical Response) to the immigration issue. Mike has the correct, Biblical response to that issue. He also has the ability to carry the south in November. Your accusation in a former email about Mike's position on Islamofacism needs a bit of clarification before I can address it. Everything I'm reading on Huckabee is right on target. He does talk about promoting peace before going to war - but he also has warned that they are a dangerous enemy and a win in Iraq is imperative for victory in and getting out of Iraq (that I heard from his mouth to my ear in a phone conversation). He also warned in a GOP debate that Hillary in the White house is a scary thought in light of our current situation with Islamofacism. So he is not Clinton-like on foreign policy.

His being a Governor gives him the mainstreet experience to become elected and being one of the most Popular Presidents since Reagan if not prior to. Government is supposed to be FOR THE PEOPLE AND BY THE PEOPLE not by Washington Insiders, tongue slinging commentators, and sinister spinisters. Mike Huckabee governs for the people.

Just because of his faith and the distaste that other politicians have for mixing the two (faith and politics) - he is not wanted by GOP's. The polls say American's like him....why can't the GOP's and Washington Insider's accept that? If they are or have a better candidate - let them run on the issues - not pull Huckabee down to boost their poll numbers.

These tactics are pathetic and I think - I HOPE - the American Public can see through it. Rush is only the latest Ace up the sleeve of Washington insiders to try to take Mike down. It may prove successful - - but then --- it may not, as it also serves to rally the Huckabee troops.

If you and people like you want to support Fred Thompson (or anyone else) - - - God Speed - but don't tear apart another person in the process to get your man elected. It's Not Evangelical. It's Not Christian.

BTW: My original email was not intended to strike up a confrontation with you regarding Mike Huckabee - I was a bit taken back with the response. However, I was dealing with the Negative campaign tactics from a generic standpoint and a "what if" scenario - because that's where I see this thing headed. Like you, I understand the fervor that builds - and no harm done, no apologies expected or wanted - not my point. I actually enjoy that back and forth and can give as well as take. I do ask that you take me at face value and with no underlying intent behind my emails and comments.

Evangelicals and Christians (may need to be considered as separate entities after this election) have both been in the back ground of politics since before the "Moral Majority" in the '70's. Now - they win elections (And to prove that is a God-thing - George Barna statistics indicate that only 8% of the American population consider themselves as Evangelicals - yet we are a political force in elections??). It took some years to bring Evangelicals to the forefront and a "deciding factor" in elections - if they - as Robert Novak states - are not considered as serious GOP's and quite seemingly unwanted - that's where this election process is driving them indeed, back to the side-lines of obscurity and to becoming the unwanted dance partner waiting in the wings, until they can't win an election without us.

I don't mean to be offensive with this, but I don't know how else to put it: emails like your last one to me prove that you are part of that process, not just because you choose not to vote for Mike - but because you choose to be part of the negative campaigning against him. Endorse your candidate publicly...have my blessing in the doing....but leave Mike out of your commentary. If you can't say something good - best not to say anything at all...That's the correct Evangelical approach.

Now - when all this is said and done and Huckabee is the nominee or not - can we still be friends? :-) By the way - - my emails have won over a Huckabee defector back to this side after flirting with Thompson (at least he said it was my emails). He has become a grassroots leader in Maryland for Mike as a result - so I'm not giving up on Gary Bauer just yet. As for Thompson - should he win the nomination, I can certainly consider supporting him - but his actions toward Huckabee will make all the difference for me. Thus far - Giuliani's camp has been the most respectful toward Huckabee and has all the reasons to be otherwise. Could there possibly be an undercurrent strategy taking place? Time will tell (and I'm not even sure I like the sound of that).

In His grace - yours,
Michael Phillips
Waldorf, MD
http://www.elephantroom08.blogspot.com/

No comments: