Monday, December 10, 2007

It's A Delaware Thing

[Note: This post was published by the Delaware News Journal as an Op/Ed on 12/13/07]
Last week I had the privilege of working in Delaware for the Mike Huckabee campaign. The State of Delaware requires each Presidential Candidate to obtain five hundred signatures in order for a candidate to be on the ballot in the February 5th Primary election. The Huckabee campaign and other candidates sent their volunteers to the First State to knock doors, stand at malls, haunt the halls of GOP Headquarters and any variety of places where we could encourage people to sign petitions.


Being lightly leery of going door to door, I forged ahead in a hard driving snow to a Newark Neighborhood and began ringing doorbells. Much to my surprise, with my clipboard in hand and stuck with a Huck sticker on my chest, the reception I received at each door and with each individual I approached was one of welcome and hospitality. I was invited in to two homes - a practice I wouldn't encourage, but with an inch of snow on my ball-cap who was I to question? I shook hands with Congressman Castle, Senator Carper, Committee Woman Priester, and many others - Democrat and Republican alike.


All First Stater's were equally approachable and welcoming to this visiting Marylander whose roots and accent extend to Arkansas. Was it the sticker I was donning, my Arkansas accent, or just my good looks? Neither. I believe it was the warm friendliness of Delaware residents and even their politicians whom I met in 28th District's special election - all of which were equally receptive and welcoming. I was even asked to leave two locale's (a post office and a shopping area) but the approach to me was in such a nice and polite way that I couldn't even muster up a discouraging word to hopefully stay - I simply said "thank you for being polite about it" shook their hand and moved on.


Delaware has made an impression on my life over the last 16 years of marriage to a New Castle resident. Any preconceptions of the openness and friendliness being simply because I married into it has now dissipated. It's a Delaware Thing - your just friendly people.


From Maryland, my family, and Mike Huckabee - we thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. It's fun to hear about people who are working hard for the Huck-man. Your hard work is appreciated even by your fellow Huck fans!

Deleware is Huckabee territory!

huckabeehound